Thursday, July 21, 2011

We Love Weekends!

Work can definitely be super stressful and it seems like sometime during the week we don't have much time to really connect. I work until 7:30pm some days and I zero energy once I walk in the door (MS is no fun!). And David has been having to work more and more after hours once he gets home. But we love the weekends because we try to make sure they are filled with relaxing and quality time for just us.

Friday afternoon I decided that I was in the mood to cook. For those of you who know me really well, you know that this does not come around very often. I don't mind cooking simple things but big, huge homemade meals actually intimidate me a little bit. David must really love me because he actually does 60% of the cooking, and we usually cook together the other 40% :)
I was looking for fun recipes and I ran across "The Pioneer Woman"- she is now my hero and I am obsessed! I then created a grocery listed based on 6 meals that I wanted to make and they were all her recipes. I then waited for my wonderful husband to get home from work so we could go grocery shopping (we love to go grocery shopping together)...

Saturday morning and 2.5 hrs of cooking later, this was my creation!



David LOVED it! This recipe is french toast with homemade strawberry and raspberry butter. Then I made jalapeno cheese sausage and had strawberries and raspberries to go with it. It was SUPER yummy! I totally recommend any Pioneer Woman recipe!

After yummy breakfast, we went to Best Buy to buy the new Chris Young CD. He sings our song and he is our favorite so we had to buy his new CD ASAP! Then we went shopping and David bought me a pretty dress. Best husband ever :)
Saturday evening we met up with my dad and brother to go to Huntsville Superstar. It's a competition that takes place in Huntsville, Texas every year and it's like a very small American Idol comprised of people all over Texas. The winner gets $1,000 and a recording contract. This night we went was the finale and we got to vote for the winner. David is an amazing singer and really has an ear for music so I was constantly leaning over asking him, "Are they good?" LOL He had so much fun being a critic and after all of the voting the guy who David picked to be the best out of everyone actually won! It is now my goal to get David to be a contestant next year! I think I'll be able to talk him into it ;)

I then decided that Sunday we were going to have a Mexican Fiesta! I cooked for 5 hours to create this fiesta and after I finished my legs and arms were tingling/numb so I was glad that it turned out to be good (according to David, my grandparents, my dad and my brother). I made homemade beef enchiladas (with deer meat and a Pioneer Woman recipe of course!), chipotle rice, a black bean bake, 2 salsas, guacamole and homemade chocolate caramel brownies with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. After all of the fiesta-ing I was really ready for some siesta-ing around like 9pm!
I didn't get a picture of the fiesta but I did get a picture of Henry and how much he wanted his mommy to stop cooking all weekend and play with him...



After simple weekends like this last one I am reminded how incredibly blessed I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment